Friday, February 10, 2017

Arduino

February 9th, 2017



On February 9th,  I was invited to a teacher's workshop at Bitspace on Lawrence Avenue in Chicago. The topic of the workshop was on Arduinos. I have been to workshops before on coding. I am now imparting my knowledge of coding to my students. Last year, I ordered finch robots from the Chicago Public Library and my students loved those. In addition, I also used dash and dot to make learning programming more exciting. Students loved dash and dot and I only wish I had more. I have heard of arduino  but did not know much about them. This workshop I went to at Bitspace was awesome. According to Arduino website it is: "is an open-source electronics platform based on easy-to-use hardware and software. Arduino boards are able to read inputs - light on a sensor, a finger on a button, or a Twitter message - and turn it into an output - activating a motor, turning on an LED, publishing something online." Basically, I learned how to use wires using Arduino to make an LED light light up and how to create buzzers. The presenter at this workshop gave a wonderful presentation and refresher course on understanding voltage, wattage, power, resistors , circuits and so much more. It was great networking with other teachers and hear how they would use arduinos in the classroom. I hope to incorporate it into the coding curriculum as there is a bit of coding involved in Arduino! I am looking into seeing how I can acquire Arduinos for my classroom. 



No comments:

Post a Comment