Monday, June 24, 2019

Genius Hour 3

Monday, June 17th, 2019

You might be wondering why I am naming my posts so suddenly as Genius Hour but I am taking a technology class via the University of St. Francis at Joliet. As part of this class, we are creating and focusing on a passion of ours that we would like to develop more. Since I was already blogging about my cochlear implant journey and it was a passion of mine ; I thought it would be a perfect genius hour topic!

As part of my genius hour project, we needed to think how can we make this a part of my routine? This took some thought because the only way to hear better and get the brain used to sounds is to consistently make the brain hear. I have been told that even 15-20 minutes practicing a day getting my new cochlear implant  is good practice! SO THIS IS WHAT MY ROUTINE IS! Every morning and every evening, my commute is an hour ride to school and home. So I turn on the radio to a channel I know will be easy to hear and have clear slow speakers like NPR. I can hear well with both cochlear implants when it is clear slow speakers but I must use only the cochlear implant on the left ear to train it to hear. I used to do this but now am back at it again.  I heard quite a bit and am shocked to know I heard somethings.I am so excited that I can hear the words.  I did not hear all the words but can get the basic drift. I was sooooooo tempted to put my other cochlear implant on but didn't. The radio was talking about how Texas is now one of the states to require insurance companies to go to arbitration when it cannot decide a price on payment of services. Many people were complaining how insurance companies would exploit patients by charging ridiculously high prices. Texas has now passed a law that shields patients from surprise medical bills. When I got home, I researched this topic to see if I heard right and I did!! Some parts I did not hear and then when I read about surprise medical bills, then I understood! I feel like I am not so afraid to try this exercise and will endeavor to stick to these routines!

No comments:

Post a Comment