Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Genius Hour-It's Showtime

July 17th, 2019

My genius hour is not DONE! It is a work in progress and will be for a while. I will continue documenting my progress on my hearing loss blog. That is how I share my journey. My blog will be going on my hearing loss chapter's website and  on my audiologist's website too!

However, I do have something to share. Talking on the phone is hard sometimes because I do not get to see that person's lips. Now, I do use the app called Innocaption which transcribes the person's voice for me and I can read what they are saying which is pretty neat. However, today I called my aunt back because she left a message yesterday wishing me a Happy Birthday. In the past, it has been difficult to hear hear on the phone because she speaks fast and has an accent. TODAY I HEARD EVERY SINGLE WORD! The funny thing was she even said you are hearing me -you are hearing everything thing! We both had the same thought at the same time! My aunt said this is great!!! I said it was awesome!

THAT'S HOW I KNOW MY GENIUS HOUR PROJECT WAS WORKING! All the practice and all the apps I used did help! It is a great feeling! I am so excited that I will be texting and calling my family members to tell hem how I heard my aunt!!! That is how I share!!!

The picture below shows that I called my aunt! The other picture is a screenshot of my hearing loss blog!


4 comments:

  1. Deirdre,
    What an amazing accomplishment! I can only imagine what it must have felt like, hearing your aunt's voice. It sounds like this will always be a project but it's great to know that you've come so far. Thank you for sharing about the transcription app; I will keep that in my list of tools to use with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, it posted before I could sign off.

    Sincerely,
    Andrew Wagner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deirdre,
    Your journey has been so inspiring to watch! What a great way to test out your new accomplishments by calling your aunt and sharing your new skills with her. I'm sure that was such a great feeling. And Happy Birthday!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for you! You are doing amazing! Your story is so inspirational. Would you be willing to allow me to share your blog with some of my students? It is great for them to see others succeed in listening with practice. I think your story could really help! Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

    ReplyDelete